Monday, September 15, 2008

Captain Underpants

Since I have been working as a library assistant, I have started reading lots of children's books. I asked a student last Friday to recommend a book for me to read. He suggested a Captain Underpants book. So I thought I would read the first one and let him pick out his favorite in the series for me to also read. So over the weekend I read The Adventures of Captain Underpants and Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants.


George and Harold, a couple of elementary age boys, enjoy playing practical jokes and creating their own comic books. And together they have created the greatest comic-book superhero in the history of their elementary school - CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS!
But George and Harold's principal doesn't like their pranks or their comic books. He devised a plan to catch George and Harold and stop their trouble-making - once and for all! The original book is about what happened when that plan backfired, and Captain Underpants leaped off the page to save the day!

Dav Pilkey has written several sequels to the original. I think if you are a 3rd or 4th grade boy with a 3rd grade reading level, then you might think Captain Underpants is funny. Oh, who I am kidding, there are several adults boys that would think this is funny. I really don't enjoy the potty humor in the book (no pun intended). Ornery, troubling making boys is not very funny to me. I don't think I will be reading any more Captain Underpants.

No comments: